As trends continue to change over time, humans are also evolving. From how we communicate, to how we relate with each other. Everything is changing. Podcasts are one such technology that is redefining how we consume information.
Prior to now, our primary channels of consuming information were through radios, televisions, and newspapers. But with the advent of smartphones, came another channel – Podcast. A channel that has become name the people’s favorite.
In this article, we’ll be looking at the global podcast statistics for 2022.
- There are 29 million podcast episodes in more than 100 languages
- Almost half of Americans listen to podcasts at home
- Americans listen to podcasts more often
- Over 2 million podcasts are registered by Google
- 23 percent of Americans, listen to podcasts in a vehicle
Podcast Listeners Statistics
- The U.S Top 10 podcasts with the largest weekly listeners (Edison Research)
- The Joe Regan Experience
- The Daily
- This American Life
- My Favorite Murder
- Crime Junkie
- Stuff You Should Know
- Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
- Planet Money
- Pod Save America
- 57% of Americans Have Listened to a Podcast
- Podcast Listeners Have Grown 29.5% in 3 Years
- 41% of Americans Listen to Podcasts Monthly
- Each Week, More Americans Listen to Podcasts Than Have Netflix Accounts
- Weekly Podcast Listeners Tune in an Average of 8 Podcasts per Week
Where do People Listen to Podcast?
- According to the above chart, Spotify is the most used app for listening to podcasts. Followed by Apple podcasts, and Google podcasts.
- 18% of people ages 18+ own a vehicle with a smart entertainment system.
- 11% of podcasters listen at work.
- 22% of podcasters listen while driving and commuting.
- 62% of Americans have listened to audio in a car using their cell phone.
Podcast Download Statistics
- 60% of all podcast shows are downloaded from Apple
- 58% of podcast consumers listen to between 76% and 100% of all the podcasts downloaded on their devices.
- 50 billion episodes have been streamed or downloaded from Apple.
- 51% of downloads come from the USA, with 6.8% from the UK, and 5.2% from Canada.
- Mobile accounts for 88.8% of all podcast downloads, with 63.1% of those coming via the Apple iPhone
Claim your free $20 Amazon gift card when you pay for Buzzsprout podcast hosting!SIGN UP FOR FREE
Podcasts Industry Statistics
- Podcasting will be a $94.88 billion industry by 2028.
- By 2022, 20.3% of users around the world will be podcast listeners.
- In 2022, the number of monthly US podcasts listeners will increase by 6.1% year-over-year (YoY) to 125 million.
- Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Google Podcasts are the bigger players in the industry.
- By the end of 2025, there will be over 144 million monthly podcasts listeners in the U.S.
- Half of all digital audio listeners tune to podcasts each month.
Podcasts Popularity Statistics
- In 2021, there are 850,000 active podcasts, with over 48 million total episodes.
- 16 million people in the US are “avid podcast fans”
- South Korea leads the world in the percentage of people who have listened to a podcast in the past month with 58%.
- Comedy is the most popular podcasting genre, followed by education and news.
- 75% of the US population is familiar with the term “podcasting” – up from 70% in 2019
- There are also over 48 million podcasts episodes as of April 2021.
Claim your free $20 Amazon gift card when you pay for Buzzsprout podcast hosting! SIGN UP FOR FREE
FAQS on Podcasting
Are Podcasts Still Popular in 2022?
Yes, podcasts are still popular in 2022. According to statistics, the popularity of podcasts is set to almost double this year. As more people are using it as an alternative to radio programs.
Is Podcasts Dying?
Definitely Not. Not even anytime soon. The big tech firms like Spotify, Amazon, and Apple are betting big on podcast shows and infrastructure because they’ve seen a future in it.
What is the #1 Podcast in the World?
Joe Rogan’s Podcast is the most popular, and most-streamed podcast in the world. According to a study by Edison Research, Joe Regan has about 11 million viewers per episode. Spotify also revealed that The Joe Regan Experience is the #1 podcast globally.
How Do Podcasts Make Money?
The main way podcasts make money is through sponsorships. Organizations and brands offer to sponsor podcast episodes, and in return, the podcast host will feature their product and service.
Where Can I Host My Podcasts for Free?
You can host your podcast for free with Buzzsprout. They have a 90-day free trial you can jump on immediately. Besides that, you will get a $20 Amazon Gift Card when you opt-in for any of their paid plans.